Friday, December 14, 2007

My Christmas Soapbox

If you ask anyone over the age of probably 25 they will tell you that they really don't like the commercialization of Christmas. I hear this a lot this time of year. Normally I overhear it talked about by two ladies sitting in the mall with all their packages at their feet as they are sipping starbucks.

Yeah, I think there are aspects of Christmas that are too comercialized. Actually probably most of it. I am sure their are studies proving that having Santa on a Coke can sells more Coke this time of year, but seriously, I have a hard time believing it. I often wonder if our grandparents felt that Christmas was too commercialized.

Seriously, who is the culprit for making it commercialized? The kids? I.don't.think.so! Now, I know I have not come in contact with all the stingy little brats precious children who think they need a room remodel for Christmas, but even if they do, there is a reason for that. Isn't there? If they weren't overindulged in previous years, they wouldn't be expecting bigger and better each year.

Don't get me wrong, my kids love the presents part too. They love getting. They love giving. And it's probably their favorite part. But they also love the other stuff too.

One of my favorite parts are cards. I love reading the letters, getting the pictures, writing the letter, and looking at my card list. And when we get a card in the mail, you would think that each card held money as the kids all get excited to see the new pictures, read the letters, and read the card. Each person on my card list is on there for a reason. They have touched our life in one way or another throughout the years and for that we want to take the time to remember them as we spend the last of the year remembering our blessings.

This year, don't b*tch about how Christmas is way over commercialized and then guilt yourself into spending a bunch of money you don't have on cr*p you don't need and either does the people you are blessing by getting them this stuff. If you hate the commercialization, then change your own pattern by making it something of meaning.

Ok, I'm done. Merry Christmas, and bah humbug!

1 comment:

Leeann said...

Yup. Needed this today. Thanks.