Saturday, May 31, 2008

Great quote

I found a great quote through one of the blogs I read. It was on a completely different blog than that but I found it.

"People say public schools are bad, but that isn't true. They're very good at what they were designed for -- to create people who could work in factories. They teach you to arrive at a bell, go to lunch at a bell and leave at a bell. You learn to sit at a desk and do the same work everyone else is. These things don't really have anything to do with education.
People don't realize that these things aren't inborn. In the old days, people regulated their lives by the schedules of agriculture. It took public schools to teach people to show up to the factory on time."


I know this may offend some people. But one of the arguments I have thrown at me as a reason not to home school is that my kids need to live by a schedule so they will know how to get up and go to work on time everyday.

Maybe my kids won't want to punch a clock. My husband doesn't. Very few people that I know (that enjoy what they do) actually punch a clock. I know they will have to at some point in their life, but that is why I'm teaching them responsibility.

And for the record, I'm not against public schools. I know their are some benefits. But they are not for us at this point in our lives.

Ok, I'm done now. :)

No comments: