Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Homeschooling is Yummy!

The best thing about homeschooling is you get to learn as you teach the kids. Today was no exception. Not only did I learn a sort of different way to multiply decimals (thank you Mr Demme!) but we finished up with our Mesopotamia unit, have already been to Egypt, and now we are following Moses out of Egypt into the promised land and are going to take the next 3 weeks studying different things about Judaism.


I am so fascinated! I have never thought of Judaism as a completely different religion from Christianity. A lot of the stories are the same, and never really gave much thought into the differences. But boy, are there differences!


We are learning about all the ritual, from Shabbat (the Sabbath) to Rosh Hashannah (the Jewish new year). So, as we were reading and learning about Shabbat today, the book mentioned Challah (braided egg bread). I have only had Challah once before when I decided to make it for Thanksgiving (why? Who knows. That was YEARS ago.) I did remember that I loved it, and it tasted like pretzel bread to me.


So today, we made Challah for supper. The kids loved it. I hope they didn't REALLY love it. I would hate to have to make it all the time. That's work!
These next few weeks are going to be so great!

1 comment:

Leeann said...

That looks yummy! Send some my way, eh? :)