Tuesday, July 03, 2007

We have a miracle on Main Street. I don't think it would have been much of a miracle if I was diligent about keeping my yard weed free, but I have a hatred for gardening and it shows.

It's not that I don't love the look of a well taken care of piece of property. My neighbor is an excellent gardener and I get to enjoy his work every day. I love his yard.

But for me, I don't enjoy getting dirt under my nails, my yard was a rental house for 25 years so no one has done anything to the yard in a long time and it would be a lot of work, and I really don't know a lot about plants and gardening.

When I first moved it, I just let everything grow the first year so I knew what was here (we moved in Feb). The second year I tried to make it look decent. I have evil bushes that grow fast and you can't kill these things. I also have boxwood elder trees that grow fast and you can't kill those either. I've tried. For years. I also have raspberry bushes that grow in my front yard. I have tried to transplant these babies every year. They never make it. They just keep coming back in the front yard.

A couple times a summer I go around my house and cut down the bushes, boxwood elder trees, and any really tall weeds that don't grow where I mow. There was this thing that was growing next to my house. Right next to the house. It got tall fast. For some reason I was fascinated. It looked familiar. Knight told me it was a thistle. I didn't argue but I didn't agree. I knew I needed to see it mature just to satisfy my curiosity. Then a couple of days ago (before it actually bloomed) it dawned on me what it was.

A sunflower.

We cannot figure out where this thing came from. The only thing I can think of is a bird dropped a seed. We don't eat or buy sunflower seeds. We have never grown sunflowers. I am just looking at it as a surprise gift from the Lord who can make me smile with a wayward flower.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh De! What a gorgeous flower. Does bring a big ole smile, doesn't it? God is good!

I tagged you for a meme so i can get to know you better...if you want to do it...please?

KarenW said...

I love sunflowers! I am also a terrible gardener which is one of the things I like about living in an apartment - nothing to bother with! Enjoy your beautiful gift.